Yesterday she tagged me in a "Food Meme". I have decided to adapt it to refer to specifically Dutch foods.
The rules: List 7 items related to food or drink you love, also list 7 items you don't like. Then tag 7 others and find out if your taste buds have something in common.
7 Dutch Foods I Like:
1. Poffertjes - Tiny Dutch pancakes topped with powdered sugar and butter.
4. Douwe Egbert Koffie - The coffee just tastes better here!
5. Pannekoeken - Flat Dutch pancakes topped with ham/cheese, strawberries, or anything else you can imagine!
6. Rookworst - Smoked sausage. Especially good if bought from Hema and served with mashed potatoes.
7. Appelflap - Crispy apple turn-over type treat.
(Ok, I realize after looking at this list that these are not the healthiest foods...far from it! I enjoy them in moderation, except when I have visitors and need to show them all of these great Dutch treats!)
7 Dutch Foods I Dislike:
1. Raw herring - I thought I liked it, but now I can't really eat it without feeling ill.
3. Pinda Saus - Peanut sauce served with chicken sates (an Indonesian dish that's very common here)
4. Sausage broodjes - Sausage served in a flaky pastry, commonly bought quickly to eat on the train.
5. Drop - Black-licorice flavoured popular candies, often very salty.
6. Paard vlees - Horse meat. A common meat found in all grocery stores.
7. Super-spicy Indonesian food - I have the lowest tolerance for spicy foods ever!
Now I am supposed to tag 7 others to do this Meme. I'm interested to know, for all those expats out there, which foods you like and dislike in your new country.
1. the writer - An Alien in Copenhagen
2. Anita - Greetings from Holland
3. twopenneth - Going Dutch
4. Bonnie - The Blue Suitcase
5. Amanda - A Letter from the Netherlands
6. Annamieke - In the Land of Cheese and Windmills
7. whoever else would like to do this!